Overall a great game, but controls are frustrating
This game has great graphics, very fluid animations and engaging music/sfx. It's also a very funny concept and I love all the little extras here and there like the guy popping up laughing at you. I especially liked all the mistranslations. Very well done and highly polished. The platform engine programming is also pretty nicely done. I really like the closelining effect in the game.
I do find the controls quite frustrating though. I get that the game is supposed to be tough, so I really gave it some time and tried to figure out the controls, but I found some things just flat out make the game less enjoyable. Here's some thoughts:
- Character's momentum should stop a bit sooner when you release the key, especially when he's just jogging. It makes it very hard to control when he's skidding all over.
- It should be a little easier to grab onto a ledge. The height of the jump should be controlled by the length of the button being held only and not by how much momentum there is. Possibly allow him to pull himself up from a few pixels lower than it currently is.
- Character should automatically grab onto ledge if he's flush against it and facing it, even if he's not holding the arrow key towards it.
- It'd be nice to be able to gain a little bit of vertical momentum while airborne (maybe half the accelerance on land).
- I'm not exactly sure how to quantify this, but I feel like the run button is not very well implemented. Clock suggests speed, so you run despite the tutorial's warning. While running you can't control your jump's height or length, and can't control hurdling move he does, so most of the time this just results in smashing into a wall. Can run over stairs or slopes, so basically the only reason to run is to wall jump or if the level design requires it. The game would be a lot better if quick reflexes and learning each level allowed one to use run as a way to get a really quick time, but as it is jogging is faster than running.
- Sometimes the player trips when just jogging over stairs and I don't know why.
- Sometimes if you get close to the edge and you start falling down, he gets stuck in a loop of falling over and over again until you arrow key away from the edge.
- The shoes are just a little too squeaky. Maybe make them squeak 50% less often? :)
I had a bunch of specific reason for a lot of these but I had to cut them out due to character limit.